Friday 6 May 2016

Swillington Ings

Friday 6th May a.m.
 Another trip although not as far to Swillington Ings which is an area of lakes and reed beds giving for a good variety of species.I only looked round a small part of the reserve which is probably the nearest site with the large range of species it holds.I started off with a Chiffchaff singing near the car park, quickly followed by a Willow Warbler and a Whitethroat.On the Astley Lake were four Avocets,Common Tern,Gadwall,Shelduck,Pochard, and Oystercatcher just to mention a few.Soon after I was delighted to hear the boom of a Bittern for the first time, too elusive to see though.There were Linnets flitting about in the Gorse bushes and also loads of Sedge Warblers which also kept popping out of the Reed Beds.I saw several Reed Warblers but they are a more skulking bird so a picture was difficult and it was also good to see the Black-necked Grebe again along with Little Grebe and Great Crested Grebe.On the main Lake were a number of Cormorants and also I spotted a Common Sandpiper,overhead were Swallows and a couple of Swifts were also seen, what a morning birding.N.P.
Black-necked Grebe



Avocet

Chiffchaff

Common Tern


Cormorants

Linnet


best I could do for the skulking Reed Warblers


Sedge Warbler


Whitethroat

several vocal Sedge Warblers were seen

Swillington Ings 6/5/2016

5 comments:

  1. Love the blog - the photo's are ace.
    Great stuff.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John, I spent a week off work birding with some good results although busy sorting through the pictures and of course getting rid of the naff ones,glad we still don't use film.N.P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im new to birding photos so I've only used digital stuff.
    Must have cost a fortune prior to digital.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  4. You,re getting some cracking flight shots Nigel , are you still on the SX 50.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Brian, yes I'm still using the same camera, as you know its good for distance and birds that are still but I need a lot of luck with the flight shots which I've been fortunate recently.N.P.

    ReplyDelete