Monday 21 May 2018

Bolton Abbey

Monday 21st May a.m.
 There was a lot of mist about this morning but fortunately it had cleared by the time I got to Bolton Abbey where the temperature started off at 13°C in the sunshine.From the Cavendish Pavilion I headed upstream hearing a Cuckoo which got me off to a good start.Looking down at the water I saw a Goosander with seven chicks which was great to see, only fleeting glimpses of Dippers as they flew past which was unusual.Several Grey and Pied Wagtails were seen and also Nuthatch,Treecreeper and Oystercatcher. A couple of Common Sandpipers were also seen as were Sand Martins,Swallows and later five Swifts near the Priory.A male Mandarin looked his usual colourful self and later a female was seen with eight chicks, another great sight.
 I went as far as Barden Bridge then headed back on the other side going down stream and it wasn't long before I heard a Pied Flycatcher singing which i was fortunate to locate on his perch and get a couple of pictures.I caught up with the Mandarin and Goosander families again and completed a very enjoyable and productive walk.
Nigel.
Pied Flycatcher



Common Sandpiper


Grey Wagtail

Pied Wagtail

male Mandarin

female Mandarin with eight chicks


female Goosander with seven chicks




Bolton Abbey 21/5/2018

No comments:

Post a Comment